Driving a car in UEA is like a privilege though you can find Metro and easily available other sources to travel easily. But if you like to join the freedom from waiting on the station or for any taxi guy then you must jump in to and get a driving license. The license fee may vary from AED 360 to 700 AED or even more.
The ultimate conditions to apply for a UAE Driving License are;
- Minimum Age 18 Years
- Medically Fit
- NOC from the employer if you are an expatriate
If all these are ‘Yes’ then you are good to go.
- 1 Who is Qualified to Apply
- 2 Easy Steps for Learner
- 3 Tips & Tricks to Pass
I know many people that hate to drive but it is still one of the basic needs here in UAE. Remember, for 18 to 21 years of age are only applicable for a probationary licence.
Who is Qualified to Apply
If you lucky and have a driving license from these 36 countries & also a citizen there then you can get your license transferred to UAE by just visiting the RTA. No need to join a training school or even the test. Cool 🙂
Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kuwait, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States.
If you need more updates on this list simply call RTA representative at 8009090. Source Dubai.ae
Documents Required for Transfer
You need a
- Translated letter (English if not already) from Embassy or consulate
- Valid Emirates ID
- Original driving license & a copy
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the sponsor
- Eye test from a certified by the Dubai Health Department
- Complete Medical foe an age 65 or above – by the DHA Authority Certified
Step to Transfer License
Once you are done with the above documentation now you have to do some easy steps and you are good to drive legally.
- Take two passport size photographs and get your eye test done by any approved optician, hospital or a clinic.
- they may charge you a nominal fee or will do it for free if you tell them it is just for a driving license.
- Visit the Dubai Traffic Department Driving License section. check the timing before go like normally it is from 7:30 AM to 2:30 PM
- Fill up the form and submit the file.
- Pay AED 360 & take the signed file.
- Submit the file at Data Entry section/counter
- Your fresh photo will be taken here – Previous 2 will be used for application & medical form
- Now, they will hand over the license – on spot 🙂
Easy Steps for Learner
By the way, your first step is to arrange money and time. Let say you are good a driving and complete all in a go without any fail then your cost will be 4,500 AED to 7,000 AED.
If you get failed then each class will cost you 60 AED and it will depend that how many classes you need to appear in road test again. That will also cost you 1,500 AED for the second attempt.
Make sure to have a budget in your head. By the way, you can see a currency conversion here AED Value
Ok, if you are not lucky enough (not in those 36) then you have to to go through a complete process that includes;
- Register for a Training School
- Documents Submission
- Medical Test/ Eye Test
- Theory Test
- Road Test
Register for a Training School
The first step is to find an authorized driving training school. Register thereby opening your RTA file. You can choose here the transmission type like Automatic or manual. Remember, if you choose automatic then you cannot drive a manual car legally. But if you choose Manual transmission then you can drive both in this case.
They will give you a complete package containing the RTA book, CDs for practice. Even pick and drop with a nominal fee.
Now here is a criterion to appear before the road test;
8 Hours Theory (9 hours if you want to drive heavy motors vehicles) is a must for everyone regardless of how long you have been driving.
Although training hours fall under three categories depending upon Driving License of your native country – Translation if required;
- If you have 2 years of experience – 20 hours
- If you have 2-5 years of experience – 15 hours
- If you have more than 5 years of experience – 10 hours
Theory classes, you can take online or you can to any prefered institute but if you are a heavy motorist then you only can attend the driving institute.
If your schedule is no matching with your timing then you can ask for special classes – extra fee may require. After you pass the theory classes then you will get a learning permit with that you can only drive the school car on roads legally.
Language for Theory Classes
The major languages used are;
A few more languages are used but in the online only English and Arabic are available.
The following documents are required to get register at an institute of choice:
- Passport-sized photos – 8 number
- Original Emirates ID card
- Valid Passport copies
- NOC – No Objection Certificate from sponsor (if expatriate). Mostly executive type professions are exempted from NOC.
- Medical Test – just an eye test and can be done at your school
Now it’s time to evaluate your theory whatever you have learned from theory classes. First of all, there are below authorized school in that conduct a theory test;
- Al Ahli Driving School
- Dubai Driving Centre
- Belhasa Driving Institute
- Galadari Motor Driving Ce
- Emirates Driving Institute
Make sure to take your Emirates ID, driving file, a fee of 200 AED and two passport size photographs.
- There are 35 questions for road driving evaluation like signal, hazards, guidelines for safety. Languages used are Urdu, English & Arabic with few more added. Don’t worry if you don’t know how to read or cannot operate a computer even touch then they can take your test orally.
- The first set is of 17 questions and you have to make 11 correct to pass.
- The second set has remaining 18 questions and you need to answer 12 to qualify for a road test.
- Risk recognization Test – You will be shown a few videos and they will ask you if you are in this situation then what you will do.
This is the area where most of the people stuck. The procedure is simple if you are good at driving or else try again and again.
Let’s see the steps here;
Step – 1: Go to the RTA License Section
Step – 2: Fill the application form and pay the fee (around 200 AED)
Step – 3: Wait for your turn – patiently
Step – 4: Show your skills here to the inspector confidently
Step – 5: If you fail to impress the inspector then you need to take a minimum of 7 more class (each class will cost you 60 AED) to appear in road test again.
Step – 6: If you pass then collect the paper from the inspector
Step – 7: Go to Pass counter
Step – 8: Submit your ID and fee of 100 AED
Step – 9: Collect your test file and submit to the Control counter
Step – 10: After processing the fee they will handover you the license.
Tips & Tricks to Pass
Theory Test | Tips & Tricks
If you have taken theory classes carefully then you not to worry about this. It is just a walk in the park. Still, I would recommend you to make sure to;
- Read RTA handbook thoroughly and practice at RTA mobile app.
- Try to memorize common signs
Road Test | Tips & Tricks
- Now, behave as a driver, not as a student!
- First Impression is the Last Impression: Make sure to dress like an executive it will boost your confidence automatically. Don’t wear sunglasses. Some people say to dress like a CEO – come on don’t fake yourself!
- Yes, a nice perfume is always recommended as mostly test is under a hot sun though cars have AC.
- Once Enter the Car: Adjust your seat, side mirrors, rear mirror, wear a seat belt and check hand brake and also if the car is on the ignition or not. Check others even the inspector if they have already fastened the belt or else advise them to do so.
- Learn basic Arabic words: If you know common words left/right so can better obey the inspector although they are good at English but in case.
- On a normal day, an instructor is taking the test for around 30 people & they are definitely not meant to trick you but to evaluate your skills.
- Never trust on old failed students (or who made many attempts to clear) that a particular inspector is very hard or tricky like that. Instead, they are core professionals.
- Once instructed drive confidently with an optimum speed not too slow or too fast. See the signs on the roads and don’t blindly follow the other vehicles.
- When you see a car a bit slow then by analyzing the road condition just cross it without waiting for any instructions from the inspector.
- When you are about to hit the main road then always stop and observe the speed of that road. Now make sure once you there then maintain that speed as soon as possible so that other vehicles are not disturbed.
- If you asked to change lane and you see you cannot as vehicles are on that way and fast then you can ignore him as you can see the mirrors well and don’t get panic and try forcefully. They know all this.
- When you are about to turn to the main road then stop for ‘3 seconds’ even if the road is clear.
- While in traffic keep the safe distance of ‘2 seconds’
- Use indicators while changing the lane. And make sure before turning on the indicator see you black point through mirrors. Don’t just put on the indicators. Inspector will see your eye movement and that’s why sunglasses are not recommended.
- Same like always stop and wait for ‘3 seconds’ while on T junction, roundabouts, U-turns, etc.
- Never apply hard brakes and avoid any hiccups. Always try to apply ‘Progressive brakes’ also look out of the box don’t just see the movement of your next car as that car may have a very good updated braking system.
- If you are asked to park the car then don’t rush but wait for a proper place.
Read More: Emirates ID Status Check
One Small Request
If you can share it with your friends on Facebook or any other platform is a reward for my effort. Thanks for visiting anyway!